Stop Thinking About it – Pick a Side Hustle and Just Do It!
I’m always looking for ways to make a little extra money, and boost my long term savings? With advancements in technology, there are more ways than ever to supplement your income with one or more side hustles – some with little or no real effort on your part. Let this list be your guide to finding extra cash while keeping your day job. Who knows, you may find something that can replace it altogether!
The Side Hustles
- Have a nice house or second home? Note: Be sure to check on your insurance and local bylaws before doing any of these.
- Rent it out short term with Airbnb or VRBO when you’re away on vacation or business. Be sure you have adequate insurance if things go sideways. If you’re in a popular area, you can expect to make at least $130 a night.
- Rent a room or basement suite.
- Rent it out as a film location.
- Rent out any extra parking you have with JustPark.
- Rent out your garage as a workshop, band rehearsal space, artist getaway, etc…
- Take care of people’s pets while they’re away. Most places charge around $40 a night.
- Rent out garden space for people who don’t have their own.
- Rent your roof to a solar power company.
- Host an international student using a service like American Homestay Network.
- Charge to put signage on your property.
- Rent out your car with HyreCar or https://turo.com. Hey – if you’d rent out your house, why would your car be any different? People make over $1000 a week doing this in some parts of the country.
- Another option to leverage your car is to place advertising on it. Companies like Carverstise will pay around 100$/month to cover your car in removable advertising provided you drive a minimum of 25 miles a day.
- Carry out simple tasks for people in the neighborhood using TaskRabbit. As much as you hate putting Ikea furniture together, there are people who hate it so much they’ll pay you to do it!
- Participate in focus groups through companies like FG Global. Companies out there want to know what you think of their products and they’re willing to pay you up to $150 for two hours of your time. Taste testing, mystery shopping, and even clinical trials are all an option if you’re up for it.
- Have an opinion, but don’t feel like leaving the house? Do online surveys with Mindswarms.
- Hire out your body. No – not like that. Participate in a clinical trial with clinicaltrials.gov. You can make money (sometimes a lot) and help advance modern medicine.
- Teach people how to speak English in person or online with companies like Learn 4 Good. Make up to $60 an hour and feel good about yourself.
- If you have the travel bug, which many seem to do judging by the number of travel blogs out there, why not become a travel agent. Companies like Oasis Travel Network will train you to give you the tools your need to become a travel agent.
- Take people on guided tours of your city. Who would know more about the interesting and fun things to do in your neighborhood than you? A great example is Jared the NYC Tour Guide. I actually went on a guided tour in Dublin, Ireland with a guy who took us to different pubs where we’d have a beer and he’d play the fiddle. Fun for us and him!
[amazon_link asins=’1524758841,B00OPN3EOC’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’imperfectit-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’2a398833-73ce-11e7-92a7-757d318d34d2′]
- Love dogs? Why not throw some signs up in your neighborhood offering to walk people’s dogs? Take it a step further and offer to board their pets while they’re on vacation.
- Are you a good at any of the following: Data Entry, Writing & Content, Sales & Marketing, Product Sourcing & Manufacturing? You can easily hire yourself out to companies or individuals who need work done, but don’t want to hire full time. A great site for this type of work is freelancer.
- If you already have some money saved, you can leverage it to make more. Peer-to-peer (P2P) lending is becoming a popular way for borrowers to get the money they need while bypassing the banks. In return, private lenders like you can make a nice 2-5% monthly return. One of the leaders in this field is LendingClub. Others include Prosper, Upstart, and Funding Circle.
- Are you a crafty person? Can you make decorative items for the house, clothes, jewelry, etc.? Use Etsy to sell your goods and make extra income. I am definitely not a crafty individual, but I’ve read a few stories about people who have leveraged Etsy to make big bucks. Mr. Money Mustache has a great article you can read here.
- Do you take a lot of pictures or videos? Why not sell them? People don’t want to buy all your selfies, but if you take high quality pictures or videos that individuals or companies could use, you can turn them into easy money. Try iStock to start.
- Do you have a great idea for a logo that would look great on a t-shirt, mug, hat, etc.? Maybe a topical or witty saying? Head over to one of many companies like Printful and setup a shop, create products, and start marketing them.
- People will pay you to stay in their house. Make some extra money in your own town, or when you go on vacation by ensuring peoples house looks lived in. Turn some lights on and off, gather the mail, look after their pet. Easy, right? Head over to MindMyHouse to get started.
- Head out on the weekend to garage sales and flea markets to find antiques or furniture you can refurbish and sell. Non-chain furniture stores are always looking for product, but often don’t have the resources to create their own.
- Do you work out multiple times a week? Why not earn a personal training designation and take on a few clients? You can work out with them, and make some extra cash while you sweat your way to better health. Check out https://www.nsca.com/, http://www.acsm.org/, and http://reluctantcreditguy.com/learnvest/ to get started.
- Become a Gigwalker and complete simple tasks for companies looking for help with brand, merchandising, and market research. You can spend as much or as little time as you want, and get paid in your Paypal account.
Stop procrastinating today and start putting money in your pocket. Just doing a few of these things a month has the potential to double your income.